Green Policy -
There has never been a more important time than now to look after our planet. Here at the Albany, an environmentally friendly ethos is something that has been very important to Nikki and I since we took over the business. We have worked hard with this in mind and achieved a number of awards including a TripAdvisor – Green Leader Gold, Surfers Against Sewage – Plastic Free Approved Status, Litter Free Coast & Sea – Accredited Business, as well as being an official Water ReFil and Boomerang Bags location.
Our environmental work started early during the initial renovations when we implemented a number of energy saving initiatives to reduce the building’s ongoing impact on the environment including;
- An entirely new roof membrane, with additional loft insulation alongside inter-floor insulation.
- A new energy efficient boiler alongside a super insulated hot water tank and new more efficient radiators throughout.
- Low energy LED lighting in all bedrooms along with motion activated lighting on communal landings.
- All of the Albany’s electricity comes from renewable energy and 100% of the gas we use is carbon off-set.
Alongside these permanent changes to the fabric of the building, we also took a good look at the different impacts on the environment that running the business would have and looked to remove, reduce or mitigate these where possible with measures including;
- At breakfast removing all individually wrapped food and drink products to reduce the plastic waste the business produces.
- Locally sourcing as much of our produce as possible to reduce food miles while supporting local businesses.
- Moving to a local coffee producer that uses an Eco-roaster to produce their 100% Organic and Fairtrade Coffee.
- Working hard to develop our fruit garden and orchard to provide an on-site supply of fresh fruit during the season. We’ve filled our flower beds with insect friendly plants and flowers, hung bird feeders in our trees and regularly receive hedgehog, fox and pheasant visitors.
- All of the room toiletries are hand made by Nikki. These “Essence of Serenity” products are made only from plant based ingredients, with no petrochemicals, parabens or synthetic fragrances.
- All showers are fitted with water saving heads while all toilet paper is 100% recycled (it took us some time to find this of good quality!).
- We painstakingly sort and recycle where possible all of the waste from the business including composting garden waste, green food waste and coffee grinds.
- We launder all towels and bedding on-site using plant-based, biodegradable detergents and line dry everything to further reduce energy consumption.